Original Writings ~ The Literates Asylum
April 18, 2024, 10:19:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new Original Writings, enjoy Smiley.

Home Help Staff List Calendar Login Register  

A novel challenge.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: A novel challenge.  (Read 1878 times)
Tau Worlock
Fool! Reviewers Have No Need For Sleep!
Novelist

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2007, 06:19:21 pm »

which mankind? yours or everybodys?
and that disguise is not very good

pmb i think its because it would not look as nice
Report Spam   Logged
Seer Fox
The Cause of Cancer, Chernobyl and Multiple Orgasms
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2007, 06:23:31 pm »

Yeah, that...

AND BECAUSE ITS A SIN AGAINST MANKIND.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

pink monkey bird
Novelist

Favorite Genre: poetry

oh my my, oh hell yeah

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2007, 10:52:05 pm »

the aesthetics would not be terrible, and it isn't really that important anyway, as long as the poems are linked (which of course they would be), though not neccisarily particularly strongly, because they wouldn't have to be, niether poem would take the emphasis off the other so, in terms of the poetic message there wouldn't be a problem. I am not a member of mankind having renounced my humanity about a year ago, so why should i give a **** about sins against them? and finnally if you have a problem about 2 poems a page, have half filled pages, or don't include poetry, i feel these are your only options.
Report Spam   Logged

Dream, there is alot to be said for dreams, even if theres is no chance it will come true. There is comfort in the knowledge you can still dream of it. Nothing great was acomplished without detailed planning, no plan was ever drawn up without a dream of an acomplishment. They did not build the apollo rockets until after man dreamed of reaching out and touching the stars. How? How is irrelevant, as long as there is a why, and the why can be simply "I want to!", the how will be worked out later.
Seer Fox
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 11:18:15 pm »

OR....

We could just not include your poetry. I have a good...forty pieces at my disposal, from various online friends. Shocking as it may sound, you are disposable...much like every other human on this planet, actually. Humanity or not.

Hee.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

pink monkey bird
Novelist

oh my my, oh hell yeah

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2007, 11:32:08 pm »

if you have 40 peices of poetry all good and all 25 lines exactly, i believe your online friends are not human. i at least am not a robot.
Report Spam   Logged

Dream, there is alot to be said for dreams, even if theres is no chance it will come true. There is comfort in the knowledge you can still dream of it. Nothing great was acomplished without detailed planning, no plan was ever drawn up without a dream of an acomplishment. They did not build the apollo rockets until after man dreamed of reaching out and touching the stars. How? How is irrelevant, as long as there is a why, and the why can be simply "I want to!", the how will be worked out later.
Seer Fox
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2007, 11:35:33 pm »

Don't have to be EXACTLY 25 lines. Just short and sweet, and know them complete, when you wore a younger man's clothes.

And at least they have SOULS! THEY CAN LOVE, MONKEY BIRD, THEY CAN LOOOOVVVEEEE!!!

Also, ten points goes to the man (or woman) who gets the song reference.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

pink monkey bird
Novelist

oh my my, oh hell yeah

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2007, 11:42:15 pm »

Don't talk to me of love seer.

and your right, i doubt i have a soul. just ask my ex's

as to the poetry, why put a line restriction on it?, thee is no line restriction on the stories why add additional restriction to the poery that seems to have no real bearing on anything at all?

that is all i have wanted to know.
Report Spam   Logged

Seer Fox
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2007, 11:49:55 pm »

Well the line restriction wasn't my idea...really, we just want one poem per page, an' if it goes over, then we pay more for it. Savvy?

So it's in everyone's best interest to try and fit one poem on one page. And the stories do have a page restriction of ten, afterall. Would you prefer me to count up the lines and put that up as a restriction instead?

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

pink monkey bird
Novelist

oh my my, oh hell yeah

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2007, 12:10:11 am »

it's not that, i just don't know what you have against the shorter poems.
Report Spam   Logged

Seer Fox
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2007, 12:22:16 am »

They knife babies in their sleep.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

pink monkey bird
Novelist

oh my my, oh hell yeah

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2007, 12:33:53 am »

true but i still don't see what you have against shorter poems
Report Spam   Logged

Seer Fox
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2007, 12:40:54 am »

They have rabies.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

pink monkey bird
Novelist

oh my my, oh hell yeah

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2007, 12:46:42 am »

true but i still don't see what youhave against short poems

we could do this all day, why are they not allowed in the book, simple serious answer is all i ask.
Report Spam   Logged

Seer Fox
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2007, 12:50:09 am »

And you get an easy answer;

Because we want ten poems, we want them of reasonable length, and we only want them to take up ten pages. Maybe less, seeing as we're printing on both sides. Also, you'll find that in poetry books, every poem gets its own page, regardless of length.

Yeah, that's a thought, isn't it? The book is going to be half as thick as we first imagined.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

pink monkey bird
Novelist

oh my my, oh hell yeah

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2007, 01:04:27 am »

i still think 12 lines is a reasonable length, half a page of poetry isn't bad. oh well, i'll worry more about writing the poetry than what others think about the length.
Report Spam   Logged

Kitsune Tsuki
Co-Administrator
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Fantasy, Steampunk

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2007, 01:49:26 am »

i still think 12 lines is a reasonable length, half a page of poetry isn't bad. oh well, i'll worry more about writing the poetry than what others think about the length.
Again, I'll look to see what a better length to fill the page is soon.  But, till then, expect about 20-25.  That's an guess, so it is subject to change once I stop being lazy and get you a definite answer.  Hit me up on MSN tomorrow and remind me and I'll look into it.
Report Spam   Logged

In a poll of Columbia\'s grad school of journalism, 57% believe in ESP, 57% in dowsing, 47% in the ability to read a person aura, and 25 believe in the lost continent of Atlantis

To the River Red, across the ochre steppe
A thousand fathers killed,
A thousand virgin daughters spread with swords still wet,
With swords still wet with the blood of their dead
EightyEight
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Hard sci-fi

Are we as offensive as we might be?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2007, 06:33:26 am »

You can fill half a page up with pictures, though, can't you? They'd just have to be a unified art style through the whole book.
Report Spam   Logged

He who keepeth a secret must keep it a secret that he hath a secret to keep.
-Sir Humphrey

Only a fool fights fire with fire.
-Me

The bakerman is laughing 'cause he's rolling in the gold...
-Midnight Oil, Bakerman
Kitsune Tsuki
Co-Administrator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2007, 06:49:03 am »

Artwork is out.  We're going to have a competition for a cover/rear, but that's it.  And I have a feeling it's going to come down to who can fiddle around in photoshop the best.

The reasoning for no artwork is it's hard, and often expensive to put quality artwork in a book.  We may consider it in future books, but for now it's right out.
Report Spam   Logged

In a poll of Columbia\'s grad school of journalism, 57% believe in ESP, 57% in dowsing, 47% in the ability to read a person aura, and 25 believe in the lost continent of Atlantis

jazen
Novelist

A smile costs little but gives much treat sum1 2 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2007, 06:58:46 am »

I agree with Kitsune about the pictures, however, whoever said that poetry books only have on poem per page is wrond, check out 'The Kingfisher book of Comic Verse' chosen by Roger McGough, im sure there are more that was just the closest to my computer, the anthology we used in English last year had 2 per page.
Another comment on the poems, could they take up 2 pages, for example a double page, this would allow 50 lines, approx, just a suggestion.
Report Spam   Logged

AMERICA here I come,
I will be out of the country - and away from internet - for the next 2-3 weeks.

A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step,
A story of a thousand words starts with a single thought.
Kitsune Tsuki
Co-Administrator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2007, 07:09:59 am »

Alright I found a 5x8 book.  I think it's a good size.  I also think that approximately 150-200 pages would make a decent size.  It would be small enough that it doesn't seem like a huge book, but big enough that it doesn't seem short.  Again, make it almost seem like a sampler.

Poem length.  I counted the lines in the book, which uses about 12 pt font, 1.5 spaced, you could fit a good 30-ish lines on a page.  So, I think a poem should be about 20-30 lines in length.  I would prefer to have 1 to a page, for the majority.  A couple shorter poems compiled onto a couple pages may squeeze their way in.  Likewise, one or two long poems, taking two pages, may go in as well.  The reason behind why 1 page, 1 poem is that it looks good, IMO.  Again, this may change.

I still need to verify in word how many lines a poem should be (approximately).

EDIT:  I did a sample page.  Currently, we can fit 22 lines to a page, at 1.5 spacing. Message me on MSN, or email me if you desire a copy.  Attachments don't want to work, and I don't feel like fiddling with them right now.  Got it working.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 07:44:12 am by Kitsune Tsuki » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum