Original Writings ~ The Literates Asylum
April 18, 2024, 10:44:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new Original Writings, enjoy Smiley.

Home Help Staff List Calendar Login Register  

One Man, One Return, and Something to do with Writing

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: One Man, One Return, and Something to do with Writing  (Read 431 times)
Rincewind
Scribbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: November 11, 2007, 11:11:48 pm »

Yes, many years ago I departed this forum. Sadly, I got bored recently and decided to return. So here I am. I hope to read a few more things this time around, and help with the critique side of things more than posting my own writing though because I am probably too busy to write that much presently.

TO make this topic relevant to this section of the forums, I pose a question to all of you. What is your favourite book by Terry Pratchett? Personally I find that question quite difficult but if I had to choose I would say Jingo was quite a marvelous read!
Report Spam   Logged

Winner of many imaginary awards, including the Nobel Prize for being the first to make a bottomless beer can.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Tau Worlock
Fool! Reviewers Have No Need For Sleep!
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 08:30:19 am »

Welcome back, I remember you so it can’t have been that many years. As for your question that a neigh impossible one. Feet of clay, reaper man, monstrous regiment and thud are on my bookshelf but that doesn’t mean much. Err can I say all of them  Wink Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Rincewind
Scribbler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 10:53:16 pm »

Of course you can! I practically did! Have you read his latest book though, Making Money? I thought that it was quite a clever read. The thing about Pratchett is that over the years he has become better at making more complicated plot lines and therefore his books have become more of a solid read. Dunno if you agree or not.
Report Spam   Logged

Winner of many imaginary awards, including the Nobel Prize for being the first to make a bottomless beer can.
Kentai
Small, Green and Spammish
Global Moderator
Writer

Immortal Until Proven Otherwise

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 12:07:38 am »

I found Thud was the first one I read that I truly loved. But any with your Namesake in are quality merely for that reason.

Too much choice though.

Welcome back.
Report Spam   Logged

EightyEight
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Hard sci-fi

Are we as offensive as we might be?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:13:45 pm »

It's great to get new members, especially if they're old members. Welcome home, many happy returns, merry Easter, you know the deal.

Thud! was the first Discworld book I read, so it's probably my favourite. However, every other Sam Vimes book comes in equal second. I just read Jingo and loved it. Especially all the Klatchian jokes Roll Eyes
Haven't read Making Money yet - I need to read Going Postal first. I actually bought it in an airport in Sweden a year ago, but, typically, I lost it before I got on the plane. After I've acquired and read it, Making Money will probably be out in paperback, and will be my next purchase. Goody.
The Fnac here has basically a whole shelf full of Discworld. It's really, really tempting just to stretch my arms out, grab the whole row off the shelf, and plonk it on the counter Wink It'd save me a few trips into the city, for sure...
Report Spam   Logged

He who keepeth a secret must keep it a secret that he hath a secret to keep.
-Sir Humphrey

Only a fool fights fire with fire.
-Me

The bakerman is laughing 'cause he's rolling in the gold...
-Midnight Oil, Bakerman
Rincewind
Scribbler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 10:55:51 pm »

Thanks for the warm welcome upon my return. Anyways I better go and have a look at whats bubbling down there in the Critiques Corner so I can have a go at (lovingly) ripping people's work apart. I am kidding of course, lovingly won't be comeing into it  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum