Original Writings ~ The Literates Asylum
March 29, 2024, 06:22:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new Original Writings, enjoy Smiley.

Home Help Staff List Calendar Login Register  

A Different Sort of Future (WIP)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Different Sort of Future (WIP)  (Read 192 times)
RowanW
Scribbler

Favorite Genre: horror, dark fantasy

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: February 13, 2008, 02:03:09 am »

An experiment in writing what I know.

Everything became a blur, after a while.

Nothing had ever felt this good. A dusty road, a vast stretch of desert, the cool mountains in the distance, beckoning us closer, drawing us farther from where we should be. We can't bring ourselves to care, though. This has been calling to us. It's not where we should be, but it is where we're meant to be.

I caught sight of a calendar in the last small, lazy town we'd stumbled through. The other two followed my gaze, did nothing but smile, just a bit, and climb back into our car.

Turns we were due home a month ago. We have family and friends and school and work waiting for us there, but right now none of us can give a damn.

We have the windows open as wide as they go, pedal to the floor, smooth classics sliding through the speakers. The music is barely audible over their wild whoops and laughter. My heart is beating far too fast, far too hard, and I let my breathless sounds of joy join theirs.

A different sort of future stretches out before us.

We never did make it home.

We'd been wandering, as usual; a right turn here, a highway exit chosen at the last possible second. Aimless, as we usually were. The way we liked it.

Then the sign was there, an interruption in the green of vegetation.

Welcome to Florida, it said.

The words were jarring, bold black accusations of the responsibility we'd abandoned. I could feel Shadow shivering slightly, the smallest judder of her arm against mine. Time brushed his fingers over the back of her neck, comforting. Met my eyes over her shoulder. Turn around, they said.

I did.

We'd been far too close, then. Too close to that place we'd once called home.

It took a while for the uneasiness to fade, after that.

But we didn't regret it.

A song crackled over the radio. Familiar, soothing. Shadow, Time, and I linked hands and danced in the shade.

The music ended, the station faded, and still we danced.

The clouds burst, and still we danced.

On and on and on.

They left before the sun came up that day
They just drove off
And left it all behind 'em
But where were they going without ever knowing the way?

-Fastball, The Way

We found ourselves in the sequoia forests one day. Giant, ageless trees that were here long before any of us were born, trees that will still be standing when we've been cold in the ground for hundreds of years.

They are tall, proud, defiant of even nature's attempts to pull them from where their roots have dug deep into the earth. This planet belongs to them.

Time plucked a sliver of bark from the ground. Deep, rich redbrown. Twined a strand of my colored hair around it; tucked it behind my ear.

They match, he said. Delighted.

The bark, my hair. Redbrown. The same.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 02:19:14 am by RowanW » Report Spam   Logged

If we could write in our sleep, every word would be extraordinary.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

EightyEight
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Hard sci-fi

Are we as offensive as we might be?

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 08:02:39 pm »

Okay, time to stop contributing to the deafening silence around here Tongue

It's an interesting read, for sure. Your title had me expecting some wild SF, to be honest Wink. I can't really tell what it is, though. That's by no means a bad thing; I guess it'll show as you write more. It seems pretty normal, except for your trippy (haven't used that word for ages Wink) writing style and the odd character names (Shadow, Time and the narrator). I'm definately intrigued, as any reader would be having seen this much. Lots of unanswered questions, mostly because of the vagueness of your writing. Again, that's a good thing - as long as you actually do go back and answer these questions.
Report Spam   Logged

He who keepeth a secret must keep it a secret that he hath a secret to keep.
-Sir Humphrey

Only a fool fights fire with fire.
-Me

The bakerman is laughing 'cause he's rolling in the gold...
-Midnight Oil, Bakerman
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum