Original Writings ~ The Literates Asylum
April 19, 2024, 07:18:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new Original Writings, enjoy Smiley.

Home Help Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Including Religion

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Including Religion  (Read 467 times)
Moonwolf
Scribbler

Favorite Genre: Poetry, Prose, Fantasy, Comedy

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: February 21, 2008, 08:41:28 pm »

There are many topics you don't discuss in "mixed company" (group that doesn't know each other well) the biggest of those being politics and religion. My question is how "sacred" is the topic of religion when it comes to writing? I've read several books that are centered around either making fun of religion or just putting a comedic twist on it (books such as "Lamb" by Christopher Moore and "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett). Is the realm of comedy, though, the only one religion is allowed in?

I've had an idea swimming in my head for awhile about a "love" story of sorts set in the Christian mythos. However, it isn't comedic, is very serious, and I wanted to frame it like a fantasy novel where the main character travels to another world (essentially Heaven and Hell are "different worlds" compared to Earth). The only time I've seen something similar to this done before was in the movie "Made in Heaven" where a guy dies, meets a girl in Heaven that has never been reincarnated before (something that doesn't exist in the Christian mythos) and falls in love with her. They are both sent down to Earth to meet each other and for a chance at "happily ever after." Another example of this is "City of Angels" with Nicolas Cage.

My question is is this something that can be written about or will it bring about trouble simply because it's talking about religion (and not just any religion, but the predominant one in the United States)? After all, "City of Angels" and "Made in Heaven" did decently well, but Kevin Smith's "Dogma" brought a lot of negative hipe from the religious circles.

Should I go on with my idea or just keep it locked in my head? Has anyone else here tried something like this before?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Insomniac
Champion Reviewer - Get Off My Lawn!
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Science Fiction, Cyberpunk

Sanity is Overrated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 09:58:55 pm »

The disappearing one returns!  Ahem...anyways...

To be honest, the taboo topics often provide some of the most interesting reading.  I say take the idea and run with it.  If the concept offends, they simply won't read it.  But heaven forbid someone approaches it with an open mind...  Wink

When it comes to imagination, there is little that is untouchable...and religion ain't one of em.  Smiley

J.
Report Spam   Logged

My imaginary friend thinks I have mental problems...

Kitsune Tsuki
Co-Administrator
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Fantasy, Steampunk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 11:59:46 pm »

I'm cool with it.  It's not taboo in any manner.  I'll only step in if a story discussion turns into flaming.  Just remember everyone is entitled to their opinion and respect that.  Otherwise, go ahead.
Report Spam   Logged

In a poll of Columbia\'s grad school of journalism, 57% believe in ESP, 57% in dowsing, 47% in the ability to read a person aura, and 25 believe in the lost continent of Atlantis

To the River Red, across the ochre steppe
A thousand fathers killed,
A thousand virgin daughters spread with swords still wet,
With swords still wet with the blood of their dead
Moonwolf
Scribbler

Favorite Genre: Poetry, Prose, Fantasy, Comedy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 09:27:38 am »

Awesome, thanks! I was worried that if I wrote about it I might get some negative responses (from online and real-life). I'm still not sure if I want to discuss the idea with my friends, though, as a handful are really religious. Glad I've got you guys!  Grin

I've written some of it down, but my intention is for it to be a novel, or at least a novella. So it might be a little long to be posting on the boards. Not sure, though, as I write more I'll post some to see what you guys think.
Report Spam   Logged
Kitsune Tsuki
Co-Administrator
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Fantasy, Steampunk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 05:28:43 pm »

If it's too long to fit in a single post, just make a second.  Double post is ok if you have a reason for doing so.
Report Spam   Logged

In a poll of Columbia\'s grad school of journalism, 57% believe in ESP, 57% in dowsing, 47% in the ability to read a person aura, and 25 believe in the lost continent of Atlantis

To the River Red, across the ochre steppe
A thousand fathers killed,
A thousand virgin daughters spread with swords still wet,
With swords still wet with the blood of their dead
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum