Original Writings ~ The Literates Asylum
April 19, 2024, 03:19:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new Original Writings, enjoy Smiley.

Home Help Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Witchfire Trilogy Anyone?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Witchfire Trilogy Anyone?  (Read 838 times)
Kitsune Tsuki
Co-Administrator
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Fantasy, Steampunk

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: March 29, 2008, 11:02:31 pm »

I want to go do some DnD'ing.  I've tried to get into it a couple times, but just never got motivated into doing it.  I want to give it another try, and doing a pseudo-narrative version might be enjoyable.  I also want to do some Iron Kingdoms setting, I'm a huge warmachine/hordes fan.  I figured witchfire trilogy would work fairly well.  So anyone interested in joining?  I think it calls for 4 players, give or take.  If need be, I'm sure I can squeeze some NPC in.  Also, I have never run or  completely played a game of DnD, so I'm going to be kind of green at it.  I also don't own the Witchfire Trilogy yet, and it kind of depends on whether I can find a copy of it.  With 4E coming soon, it might be hard to get my hands on it.

I do own the 3.5 Players Handbook, Monster Manuel, DM Guide and the Monsternomicon 1 (3.5 version of course).

So, who's interested?

If you do want to get in on this, give me a basic character description and the order you want your stats to be in, highest to lowest.

Links
Free online version of DnD 3.5 rules
Iron Kingdom Sample Rules
About the Iron Kingdoms
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 03:01:42 am by Kitsune Tsuki » Report Spam   Logged

In a poll of Columbia\'s grad school of journalism, 57% believe in ESP, 57% in dowsing, 47% in the ability to read a person aura, and 25 believe in the lost continent of Atlantis

To the River Red, across the ochre steppe
A thousand fathers killed,
A thousand virgin daughters spread with swords still wet,
With swords still wet with the blood of their dead

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Moonwolf
Scribbler

Favorite Genre: Poetry, Prose, Fantasy, Comedy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 03:51:03 pm »

I'm a D&D player and have been for 14 years (yes, that means I was playing at age 7 -- both of my parents love the game). I have a group that meets about once or twice a month and we tried the Witchfire Trilogy about the time it came out (two, two and a half, three? years ago). We tried it before any of us had gotten into the Warmachine/Hordes crowd so we weren't that into the storyline and the campaign fell after about four sessions. From what I did experience of it I'll have to say it was enjoyable and since I'm a Warmachine/Hordes player now I'm able to understand and appreciate everything we did in the campaign. I'd love to play it again, but I've never done D&D over the internet so I'm not sure how its done. Also I'm at a disadvantage for you because I know parts of the beginning of the storyline and remember them better since I started into the IK lore (or "fluff" whatever term people use for it  Tongue ). I wouldn't, of course, give anything away, but it takes out the suspense of the "clue finding" that happens in the first book when a player knows where all of the clues are and what the conclusion is  Undecided

I would, however, be more than willing to give you any advice/answer any questions you have about D&D and DMing (Dungeon Mastering). I have a campaign I'm running currently and my friend is running a campaign that I'm playing in. So I can answer questions and those I can't answer I can ask my players or my DM friend. He was the one who ran our Witchfire game, so if you have any questions about specifically DMing that campaign I can ask him or have him post on here.

D&D is a great game and I hope you enjoy it. And if you could explain how to do D&D over the 'net I'd be more than happy to participate.
Report Spam   Logged
Kitsune Tsuki
Co-Administrator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 11:50:27 pm »

Ya know, seeing your welcome post and that other new PP member (Ey-something or another) inspired me to start this up again.  Wink  Was waiting till one of you saw this, figured it would get someone there.

DnD online, hmm, how to describe it...  Think focusing on the narration, and discussion.  In essence, writing with roleplaying.  You write out, in a descriptive or narrative manner, what you want to do each round.  Once each person has said what they want to do, I'll post the next bit or tell you the result.  Combat will be a bit vague(sp?), I haven't decided if I want to play out the combat or at least damage with actual dice or kind of decide how it goes on my own.  Leaning toward dice.  In a way, actual rules and dice rolling is pushed a side a little in order to do more narrative roleplay.  Again, figured it would also work on improving writing and story telling techniques.  That make any sense?

I'd love you to join in, even if you know how it goes.  How far did you get in?  I'm guessing completing longest night.  Silly question, I don't suppose you might be interested in running this?  Not to sound like I'm passing the buck, but kind of hesitant to try DM a game I've never even played before.  Besides, I need still need to nab a copy of the Witchfire Trilogy.

So, yeah, can I count on you to join in on this?  Pretty please?
Report Spam   Logged

In a poll of Columbia\'s grad school of journalism, 57% believe in ESP, 57% in dowsing, 47% in the ability to read a person aura, and 25 believe in the lost continent of Atlantis

Moonwolf
Scribbler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 03:52:03 am »

Online D&D rules sound simple enough. It sounds like one of those text-based roleplaying games that my friends used to talk about. Something starting with "fur" or something. Or was it another one? I don't know, I had a lot of friends into it. It was awhile back so I don't remember exactly how the last session went, but I think we got through the longest night. Where "the main person of the story" (don't wanna name any names  Wink ) is introduced.

As for DMing it I'm not sure. I guess if enough people on here were interested I could give it a try. I don't know much of the IK lore as the campaign I'm running is set in Eberron. I know Eberron fairly well and only play Warmachine/Hordes as a side thing. I could start reading the lore from the books I have and learn more. But that's assuming we got a decent bit of people interested. I own the IK player's handbook because I needed it to roll up my nyss gunmage (I know, I know, after getting into the War/Hord lore I realize how weird that is....but I really did have a decently cool story behind the character).

I think I might have the first Witchfire book lying around somewhere, but I don't think I have the whole trilogy. I know PP collected all three modules and put them into one big hardcover book. For dice and rules-wise I know there are a ton of dice rolling programs out there. Some might even do random character stats if you give it a range. I can look into programs like that, so that it'll be easier stat-wise and for equality stat-wise. Or you could pick a handful of decent stats and give limits like "these are your base stats and you can add a total of 5 points among the stats however you choose". That way if someone wants a really strong fighter-type they might toss all their points in Strength or reserve some of the points for Constitution.

If you want we could co-DM. Since you're better at the online roleplaying part and I could be there as advice on how to get players focused, keeping them on track, making sure you don't reveal anything too early, not going too terribly easy on them, etc.

My other question about the whole thing is it done over forums or what? It seems like it'd give more freedom that way because you can post on Monday morning something like "alright, you just entered this city, what are your characters going to do for the next two hours? Replies accepted no later than Wednesday at noon". That way people could check and respond on their own schedules. The only problem with nothing being instant would be that characters have limited interaction with each other and there might be a day long pause between DM saying "the barkeep looks at you and says 'what'll ya have?'" and the player saying "scotch on the rocks". I'm still curious about how all of that happens, after all, asking a question and waiting for a response can't really be done as a narrative between two different real-life people. I'd understand if minor NPCs like a barkeep could be added into a player's narrative about them walking into a bar, but interacting between two players and interacting between player and important NPCs (aka DM) will be more difficult.

Overall I'm definitely willing to play as long as it doesn't directly interfere with my day-to-day plans and schedule and I'm willing to help out although I'm not sure about totally DMing.
Report Spam   Logged
Kitsune Tsuki
Co-Administrator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 11:38:39 am »

Hehehe..least it wasn't an ogrun gun mage or something completely implausible.

Anyways, yeah, it really is a I post what happens, give you all a day or two then post the next thing.  I generally have enough free time that I can check back once or twice to do quick replies to short sentences.  It does stretch out the length of the campaign and that's kind of the downfall of the campaign.  But again it's more focused on writing, which probably takes more time then just vaguely describing it in thirty seconds.  I have this thread on subscription, so I get emails everytime there is a reply.  That way I can get back to people quicker.  If I ever need to take off, I'll let all the players know ahead of time that we're taking a pause.

It's fine on the DMing part.  I was really trying to get someone with more experience to do it, so I don't royally screw it up.  Glad to have at least one player.  I might ask that you share some of the character guide with me if I need to know anything out of there.

For stats wise, once you dedicate to a character give me the order you want your stats to be in, highest to lowest.  I'll then assign you your stats and the number of skill points and feats you can select.  Make sense?  So, if you want Str, Wis, Con, Dex, Cha, Int say that and I'll assign each one a stat, with Str being the highest and Int being the lowest.
Report Spam   Logged

Moonwolf
Scribbler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 05:36:28 am »

Sure any references you need from the book I'll be more than happy to type up for you. I'm not sure what I want to play, may try and find my gunmage's character sheet and just reroll that old character.

My question about stats and stuff is skill points and feats are determined by level, generally, so are you going to give us a level or just assign a certain amount of points/feats?

And for the record, an ogrun gunmage could be fun....
Report Spam   Logged
Kitsune Tsuki
Co-Administrator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 01:33:05 pm »

You'll have levels.  Again, I'm just reporting what I rolled and what got assigned to what.  It won't be arbitrary.

As cool as an ogrun gunmage may sound, it's impossible.  Ogrun's are incapable of arcane magic, only divine.  I'm pretty sure you can't have divine magic gunmages.  Though that would be cool.  Trollkin gunmage might be plausible, but I don't know if they are limited to divine magic only.
Report Spam   Logged

Nomad5
Scribbler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 10:07:51 am »

I've always wanted an excuse to learn how to play D&D, however my current pool of tabletop friends are more concerned with mass army movements and the chucking of not just a few, but bucket loads of dice.

Should I read the links up top, and read it all?
Report Spam   Logged
Kitsune Tsuki
Co-Administrator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 11:32:20 am »

That depends.  Are you familiar with the Iron Kingdoms fluff?  If so, just read the first link and and get a grasp of the rules.  If you don't know much about the iron kingdoms, I suggest you read up on them.  You don't need a great knowledge of it, but try and get the bare bones of the setting.  If you do anything too much out of the setting like making a making a laser gun, I'll let you know.

Glad you're interested in playing!  It will hopefully be a refreshing difference from whatever games you play now.

EDIT: Ok, this ain't going anywheres.  Decided against it, or rather lost a interest in it.  I'm locking this thread.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 12:02:02 am by Kitsune Tsuki » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum