Original Writings ~ The Literates Asylum
March 29, 2024, 10:52:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new Original Writings, enjoy Smiley.

Home Help Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Science fiction books and the government?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Science fiction books and the government?  (Read 653 times)
EightyEight
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Hard sci-fi

Are we as offensive as we might be?

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: October 01, 2007, 08:01:37 pm »

I'm looking for some good modern SF books that deal with the government or what the government could turn into. I just started doing some research for my extended essay (needed to pass the IB), and decided that I'd do it in English and do a comparison of something and Starship Troopers. I eventually decided on doing a comparison of the government as portrayed and used in ST and another book. I tentatively wrote 1984, but my supervisor is a harsh man. He wants something more modern, and I agree. 1984 has probably been beaten to death by extended essay-writers.
So I'm asking whether anybody knows a modern work of science fiction that somehow uses or comments on the government. By 'modern' I'm thinking 90s 'till now. 80s are iffy, but I'll see what my supervisor says.
I've already got a few links to where I might find some stuff, and I'm thinking of doing Armor (John Steakley), as it's military SF similar to Starship Troopers, but portrays the government very differently.
Anyway, thanks in advance...
Report Spam   Logged

He who keepeth a secret must keep it a secret that he hath a secret to keep.
-Sir Humphrey

Only a fool fights fire with fire.
-Me

The bakerman is laughing 'cause he's rolling in the gold...
-Midnight Oil, Bakerman

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

pink monkey bird
Novelist

Favorite Genre: poetry

oh my my, oh hell yeah

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 10:21:53 pm »

modern sci-fi doesn't really look at society and government in the same way as older stuff, when i first read the topic my mind leapt to Aldous Huxleys "brave new world" as a great stark contrast to starship troopers depicting governments control over art liturature family philosophe ect. to create a eutopia however that was published in 1932 and so a little before the 80's deadline.

the "dune" series by frank herbert  also jumps to mind, replacing true governments with "great houses" and showing how they interact with each other both publically and privately, and how they themselves are controlled by the economy and super companies, the first book of the original trilogy was written in 1965 however the series has been continued by brian herbert (the original authors son) and kevin j. anderson, and the latest to be released was released in august this year, film versions of the originals have been coming out since the 80's as well, so there might be an opertunity there.

steven baxters "time" (published 1999) shows simply the continued incompetence of government in a futuristic setting, and doesn't follow society rather than concepts, like most modern sci-fi, however certain interpritations i have heard focus around the government, in this book, trying to slow down and stop the development of the human race so it can stay in control, it is a tentative link, and not an easy one but something to consider should all other suggestions be found wanting.
Report Spam   Logged

Dream, there is alot to be said for dreams, even if theres is no chance it will come true. There is comfort in the knowledge you can still dream of it. Nothing great was acomplished without detailed planning, no plan was ever drawn up without a dream of an acomplishment. They did not build the apollo rockets until after man dreamed of reaching out and touching the stars. How? How is irrelevant, as long as there is a why, and the why can be simply "I want to!", the how will be worked out later.
EightyEight
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Hard sci-fi

Are we as offensive as we might be?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 06:42:06 am »

modern sci-fi doesn't really look at society and government in the same way as older stuff
Yeah, I'm sort of finding that out Tongue. Thanks for the reference.

Tau: Thanks, and thanks for thinking about it Wink.
Report Spam   Logged

He who keepeth a secret must keep it a secret that he hath a secret to keep.
-Sir Humphrey

Only a fool fights fire with fire.
-Me

The bakerman is laughing 'cause he's rolling in the gold...
-Midnight Oil, Bakerman
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum