Original Writings ~ The Literates Asylum
March 29, 2024, 03:25:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new Original Writings, enjoy Smiley.

Home Help Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Rules for Challenges

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rules for Challenges  (Read 228 times)
Kitsune Tsuki
Co-Administrator
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Fantasy, Steampunk

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: March 17, 2007, 02:43:52 am »

These are the rules for Challenges.  All Challenges must be post here.

Alright, if you would like to issue a writing challenge to the members of this board, here is what is required.

A description of the challenge you wish to issue.  This can be as short as a sentence, but is best described in a paragraph to remove any level of ambiguity.

Limits:
If there are any form of limit on the challenge, please make sure you state them in your original post.  A limit can be one of many things...

Setting - if you want to limit it to a specific setting (fan fiction challenge for a specific game, for example) or setting type (fantasy settings only).

Word Count - If you want all entries to be a minimum or maximum size, post the word count.  There are two commonly used types of word count... the one that comes with your word processor, which is a literal counter, or the publisher word count (# of characters / 6).  If you want to use a specific one, please state it.

Time - This should be a last resort limit.  If you only want the challenge to be issued for a fixed period of time before being closed off.

Content - if you want a story to be without violence, swearing, or any other potentially offensive content, state as much when the challenge is issued.

Misc - this is any other special requirement for the challenge (your story must include the following words...)

That should do it.  Most challenges should be serious entries, in order to push the limits of fledgling writers into areas they might not usually tread.  This isn't saying that humorous challenges aren't permitted, but if a challenge has a serious overtone, try to remain within the constraints of the challenge, to the best that your writing style allows.

This is to be posted in the challenges sticky.

Have fun and get writing.  Smiley

Submitting Stories for Challenges
When submitting a story create a thread for it, and please title it like this:
Challenge x - [name of story] - [name of author]
so things stay nice and coherent Smiley

At the start of your post please either link to the challenge or copy and paste it and leave a
Code:
[hr]
after it to divide it from the story. Either linking or copy+pasting is good, both is doubly good. And now I need some sleep... If anything is messed up I'll sort it out eventually.

The way I have done the links to the challenges in posts is this:

Code:
[URL OF CHALLENGE POST][color=red][b][i]Done for Challenge x[/i][/b][/color][/URL]

Just stands out like that and is consistent... If you don't know how to link to a particular post it gives you a link if you click on just before the date at the top of a post.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 02:59:24 am by Antiphon » Report Spam   Logged

In a poll of Columbia\'s grad school of journalism, 57% believe in ESP, 57% in dowsing, 47% in the ability to read a person aura, and 25 believe in the lost continent of Atlantis

To the River Red, across the ochre steppe
A thousand fathers killed,
A thousand virgin daughters spread with swords still wet,
With swords still wet with the blood of their dead

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum