Original Writings ~ The Literates Asylum
September 23, 2021, 03:47:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new Original Writings, enjoy Smiley.

Home Help Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Freedom,

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Freedom,  (Read 208 times)
jazen
Novelist

A smile costs little but gives much treat sum1 2 1

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: June 15, 2007, 10:09:24 am »

My ethics teacher is giving us a new question each lesson to do with freedom, there will be around 5 in total I think, any comments would be welcome.

What is meant by the word ‘Free’?

Free, to be able to make choices without restriction. To be your own person rather than confined to the will of others. Freedom is a difficult concept in a world governed by rules is anyone really free at all? Can anyone do what they want when they want to, or are we all governed, either by the law or societies expectations or both?
Which is better to know that we are constrained and to work within those constraints, to be able to see that we are constrained and that we cant free ourselves or to not know, to be ignorant to the truth, is, in this case, the saying ‘ignorance is bliss’ true?
To suddenly realise that you are imprisoned and confined, how would you react to that to discovering that you are not as free as you had thought yourself to be? Would you remain calm and not let your captors know, allow yourself to remain imprisoned or would you try and fight your way out? And if you did make it out how would you survive outside your prison, the world you have always known has been proven false, is there anyone you can trust, anyone? Or would you remain forever looking over your shoulder, suspicious of everyone around you?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 03:42:00 pm by jazen » Report Spam   Logged

AMERICA here I come,
I will be out of the country - and away from internet - for the next 2-3 weeks.

A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step,
A story of a thousand words starts with a single thought.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Tau Worlock
Fool! Reviewers Have No Need For Sleep!
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 10:29:43 am »

Or would you remain forever looking over your shoulder, suspicious of everyone around you?
I do that already, freedom as you describe it is an illusion. It cannot exist. It is a nice idea but nothing more. The problem is that people are not perfect and make mistakes, so sooner or later (well sooner) any society based on perfect freedom would collapse.
Report Spam   Logged
jazen
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 10:33:30 am »

If freedom as I was explaining it can't exist then why do we have to write an essay on it, or is my definition of freedom wrong?
And yes i know you do that already. If I didnt i'd be slightly worried.
Report Spam   Logged

AMERICA here I come,

Tau Worlock
Fool! Reviewers Have No Need For Sleep!
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 04:07:26 pm »

Don’t take my view of the world as being how the world is, and philosophy/ethics are subjects that are opinion based, so having to write an article on something that is (in my opinion) not likely to happen is a good exercise.
Report Spam   Logged
jazen
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 04:37:59 pm »

I don't.
I know.
Freedom could happen, but never 100% and not for more than a few minutes as someone will always try to control others or remove their freedom.
For a 100% free society then everyone would have to be born the same, as otherwise we wouldnt be free as society pushes down on us and some are convinced they are better than others, so we would all have to be the same, but then we couldnt be human as we would all be the same, all have the same aspirations and the same dreams.
Report Spam   Logged

AMERICA here I come,

jazen
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 08:02:22 am »

Section 2:  Are there limits to freedom?

For freedom to be true freedom then it would have to be without limit, for their to be no boundaries and no pressures, that would be true freedom. However for freedom to be able to be practiced there would have to be limits as what one person may choose to do with their freedom could limit someone else’s, either this could not be allowed (which would hamper everyone’s freedom) or they would b allowed to hamper others freedom, so some would have freedom while others don't.
Therefore true freedom cannot exist for everyone, as for it to be true freedom there can be no limitations and if there are no limitations then it probably wont remain true freedom for long. So although in theory freedom should be without limitations in practice, or when you look deeper, you realise that this level of freedom could not exist.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 03:40:52 pm by jazen » Report Spam   Logged

AMERICA here I come,

Seer Fox
The Cause of Cancer, Chernobyl and Multiple Orgasms
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 06:32:46 pm »

If I were the last human alive, I'd be free to do as I please. If I wasn't, then chances are that I'd have to take into consideration other people.

If I were truly free in society, then I'd go around beating the **** out of everyone and killing them with no repurcussions. It'd be fantastic...for me. If others could do the same though, we wouldn't have a society to speak of and we'd propably all end up dead.

Sooo we can only obtain freedom in a limited form. Even if I WAS the last human, there are some freedoms denied to me. I must die at some point, I can't fly, I can't simply step backwards in time to change something. I can't make a mammoth out of a rock. Morally, I'd be free, but I'd still be physically constrained by the laws of the universe, alas.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum