Original Writings ~ The Literates Asylum
October 28, 2021, 09:14:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new Original Writings, enjoy Smiley.

Home Help Staff List Calendar Login Register  

A novel challenge.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: A novel challenge.  (Read 967 times)
Seer Fox
The Cause of Cancer, Chernobyl and Multiple Orgasms
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: July 15, 2007, 11:24:10 pm »

Literally. I reckon we've enough talent around now to start up something promising here, like a collection of short stories.

So here we are. This is a...well, not a competition exactly, not yet, but more a challenge where the entires will be put into a short story novel to be published. The stories written for this challenge will be viewable on this forum, for this first one, though if this gets popular enough then eventually the stories will be hidden and people will have to purchase the book to read them.

So, where and who and how will the publishing be done? Well firstly after compiling the stories, I will be putting it together  and getting it published through Cafe Press. I'll be getting us a front cover and a back cover somehow...perhaps by way of a design competition, infact.

Whether anyone will buy these books, I dunno...but at some point I will be buying several and will go walking around town, into the local bookshops, to see if I can get them on the shelves. Telling people about OW and giving them sample books would also be useful.

So then. The challenge for this book is as follows.

Write a 10 page short story. Font 12, A4.

Any subject, any characters, any style.

When I get, say, ten of these stories, I will compile them. If there is a shortage of stories, I will do another 10 page story. Or two. Or however many it takes.

Is anyone interested? I shall give a starting and closing date if I get enough entries.

Ah yes. And lest I forget poetry. Somebody get me a few pages worth of poetry. GOOD poetry, thankyou. I shall supply a couple myself.

So...what say you?

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kitsune Tsuki
Co-Administrator
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Fantasy, Steampunk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 12:16:48 am »

I like this idea.  Do you know how much each book costs on cafepress?  I may try selling it to some of my friends/teachers.  Make sure that you mention the site a lot.  Like, have it at the bottom of each page (Ok, that's overkill, but you get the idea).

Anyways, I do have one idea to throw out there.  It may be used better on future compilations, though.  Why not have all the stories written in a similar setting.  Akin to what we were doing with Entilea.  Don't turn it into an RPG, but just a unified setting.  Maybe use the book as a method of introducing background/material via stories.  Anyways, that's just one comment.

I will more likely try and make the cover to it, though Mak will probably one up me with his amazing photoshop skills.  I really haven't written anything lately, so I may give it a try.  Maybe I'll put up that story I started when we moved to the new site.

How many stories are we adding?  I think 5 or 6, plus maybe ten pages of poems would work well.

Lastly, is it ten pages double spaced?  I assume yes.
Report Spam   Logged

In a poll of Columbia\'s grad school of journalism, 57% believe in ESP, 57% in dowsing, 47% in the ability to read a person aura, and 25 believe in the lost continent of Atlantis

To the River Red, across the ochre steppe
A thousand fathers killed,
A thousand virgin daughters spread with swords still wet,
With swords still wet with the blood of their dead
Seer Fox
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 12:40:21 am »

It'll be 5 x 8, standard paperback size. The prices are as follows:

Per Page                         $0.03
Flat Binding Fee   $7

We're using a perfect binding, paperback, and I suppose we'd be using about...a hundred/ a hundred and twenty pages? So each one would cost roughly $10.6 or £5.21, without any profit added. Say we round it up so it's $11 and £6 apiece; giving the extra amount of cash to the site...maybe if it gets popular enough in the future, we can add more to it to reward those who contribute.

And no, not ten pages double-spaced. TEN. PAGES. No spaces. Most writers can manage a page a day, give or take, and I'm sure if I give all applicants time enough to think about their subject and what they're going to write, we'll be laughing. Ten A4 pages is about equal to 20 5 x 8 pages, so we'll get a decent amount of decently sized stories together in a decent amount of time.

I like your idea, Jewie...but I also like the free-form way of this compilation...

I believe we shall have two of these books. One for these random ones, and one for a consise view of a fictional world. An Entilea view.

Anything else?

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

- Makenshi -
Who Needs Sleep Anyway?
Administrator
Writer

Favorite Genre: Fantasy, Science-Fiction & Science Fantasy: if it involves people doing ridiculous things I like it

Oh Crap...Not Again...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 02:46:35 am »

All sounds good to me, and I'll hopefully have my computer working for more than 10 minutes at a time soon enough to contribute myself (to one or both of the proposed ideas).

~MTWC
Report Spam   Logged

Insomniac
Champion Reviewer - Get Off My Lawn!
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Science Fiction, Cyberpunk

Sanity is Overrated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 02:26:36 pm »

The idea sounds intriguing.  I wouldn't mind participating.  Are there going to be limits on content (profanity, violence, etc)?

What about a deadline?  Are we going to want to get all contributions in by X date?

J.
Report Spam   Logged

My imaginary friend thinks I have mental problems...

Seer Fox
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 07:30:27 pm »

Yes, there will be a start date and an end date. I'm thinking either a month or a fortnight. Fortnight is winning out right now.

Currently looking at how things are set up, I have found a better site to make our book...but it seems unless we go to a 'proper' self-publishing house we can't go around selling these things ourselves to make a profit; we'll need people to go online to our 'shop' and make a purchase there for profit.

So I shall buy a bunch of books and try and put them on shelves and stuff for free or 100% profit for the bookstore, and then, if they feel they can sell more of these, they can buy more off our store. Even if the stores won't take 'em, I'll still try and get the books in circulation somehow, see if we can't get it a few reviews...

And anything goes for this. Anything...as long as it's good, that is.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

Insomniac
Champion Reviewer - Get Off My Lawn!
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Science Fiction, Cyberpunk

Sanity is Overrated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 08:35:31 pm »

So when we have a story that we think is half decent, do we post it here for review by the community, make our revisions and delete the post?

J.
Report Spam   Logged

My imaginary friend thinks I have mental problems...

Seer Fox
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 08:38:51 pm »

Sounds good for a first go. In later editions we might set up a supa-seekrit review panel for these things.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

EightyEight
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Hard sci-fi

Are we as offensive as we might be?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 06:50:42 am »

I guess I could do something. 10 pages, though... it's sort of an uncomfortable length between too short and too long. Between short story and novella. Meh. See, when you make that distinction that you're out of short story land, you can't really do much in the way of a twist ending - the story has been building up too much momentum to suddenly jerk it around. You have to have a beginning, middle and end. In 10 pages.

Sounds like a challenge.
Report Spam   Logged

He who keepeth a secret must keep it a secret that he hath a secret to keep.
-Sir Humphrey

Only a fool fights fire with fire.
-Me

The bakerman is laughing 'cause he's rolling in the gold...
-Midnight Oil, Bakerman
Tau Worlock
Fool! Reviewers Have No Need For Sleep!
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 09:58:26 am »

I am in; itís as simple as that.

I will have a lock trough my pomes and any good once will get a polish so that they can be submitted, as for a story, I mind is already throwing plotlines around.
Report Spam   Logged
jazen
Novelist

A smile costs little but gives much treat sum1 2 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 10:09:26 am »

OK, I like this idea, will do my best to put something together, but no promises, 10 pages is an awful lot, I will try though.
Report Spam   Logged

AMERICA here I come,
I will be out of the country - and away from internet - for the next 2-3 weeks.

A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step,
A story of a thousand words starts with a single thought.
pink monkey bird
Novelist

Favorite Genre: poetry

oh my my, oh hell yeah

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 09:15:53 pm »

ok, there is NO way i can write a 10 page story, but poetry shouldn't be a poem, umm define a few pages 3, 5, 15?
Report Spam   Logged

Dream, there is alot to be said for dreams, even if theres is no chance it will come true. There is comfort in the knowledge you can still dream of it. Nothing great was acomplished without detailed planning, no plan was ever drawn up without a dream of an acomplishment. They did not build the apollo rockets until after man dreamed of reaching out and touching the stars. How? How is irrelevant, as long as there is a why, and the why can be simply "I want to!", the how will be worked out later.
Seer Fox
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 09:22:02 pm »

TEN.

For the love of god, TEN! Everything is ten! I'm pretty sure I have said, at several instances, that we want TEN pages of poetry!

And ten pages where the I's are in caps, if you don't mind.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

pink monkey bird
Novelist

oh my my, oh hell yeah

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 09:27:16 pm »

i guessed so, but no, you never said it, i just wanted to check.
Report Spam   Logged

Dream, there is alot to be said for dreams, even if theres is no chance it will come true. There is comfort in the knowledge you can still dream of it. Nothing great was acomplished without detailed planning, no plan was ever drawn up without a dream of an acomplishment. They did not build the apollo rockets until after man dreamed of reaching out and touching the stars. How? How is irrelevant, as long as there is a why, and the why can be simply "I want to!", the how will be worked out later.
Kitsune Tsuki
Co-Administrator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 01:44:43 am »

TEN.

For the love of god, TEN! Everything is ten! I'm pretty sure I have said, at several instances, that we want TEN pages of poetry!

And ten pages where the I's are in caps, if you don't mind.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
I'd suggest at least 25 lines for a poem.  That should be a decent amount.  You can up it, but I think that's a fair number.
Report Spam   Logged

In a poll of Columbia\'s grad school of journalism, 57% believe in ESP, 57% in dowsing, 47% in the ability to read a person aura, and 25 believe in the lost continent of Atlantis

pink monkey bird
Novelist

oh my my, oh hell yeah

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 08:26:19 pm »

why 25 lines in a poem? I don't understand the need for that restriction, nor do I think that 25+ line poetry is
A: easy to write
or
B: any good

(oh and seer capital i's happy?)
Report Spam   Logged

Kitsune Tsuki
Co-Administrator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 09:03:51 pm »

Because it fills a page.  Again, I would have to test around in the appropiate size sheet of paper, to find a more accurate answer.  I said 25 as a guess.
Report Spam   Logged

Seer Fox
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 09:29:33 pm »

Mmm.

Good poems don't have to be longer than 25 lines. So sayeth the haiku.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

pink monkey bird
Novelist

oh my my, oh hell yeah

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2007, 05:25:14 pm »

kitsune tsuki whats the problem with having 2 or more poems on a page?
Report Spam   Logged

Seer Fox
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2007, 06:14:35 pm »

*Disguises himself as Tsuki*

BECAUSE ITS A SIN AGAINST MANKIND.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged