Original Writings ~ The Literates Asylum
September 17, 2021, 08:27:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new Original Writings, enjoy Smiley.

Home Help Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Original Writings is dead! LONG LIVE ORIGINAL WRITINGS!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Original Writings is dead! LONG LIVE ORIGINAL WRITINGS!!  (Read 1235 times)
Seer Fox
The Cause of Cancer, Chernobyl and Multiple Orgasms
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: October 29, 2008, 02:47:47 pm »

Right, Iíve been thinking mainly that we should cut the criticism of actual work down to just one thread; basically, wherever people have put up their work, they can put the link in this thread and ask us to look at something specific.

Iíve found that biggest problem in commenting on someoneís work is that they donít give me any particular THING to address, just expecting me to look at it and get everything they were aiming for or at. Iíd like a little more direction, like ĎIs the character this story believable?í or ĎIs the poem hindered by that particular line?í

We obviously donít need all these boards for what turns out to be such a small amount of reviews people give, and there are people better qualified for it, so we may as well leave the majority of criticisms out of the site.

Instead, in the spirit of an idea sounding-board, there should likely be a couple of threads, or maybe just one, dedicated to this particular task. In it dudes and dudettes can just waltz in and express their idea for a short story, or maybe a problem in their plot or so forth, and we can comment and advise. Not strictly the same as criticism of a story, given it hasnít even been written yet, but useful for sorting ideas out. The person posting should give us more detail than ĎSo, how should I make a fantasy story?í they should have already thought through their ideas a little beforehand.

As far as bringing the community together is concerned, every time weíd tried for a competition or a collaboration or an anthology its never turned out particularly well, so I donít want to head in that direction.
   What HAS proved rather popular (somewhat surprisingly) is the Random Thread, so Iíd like to focus on more off-topic community bonding that doesnít involve strenuous input. The sort of stuff that friends might do anyway, but perhaps with a slight twist to it; say, a thread where we discuss a movie or series that weíve enjoyed, and then we write a short paragraph about the guys, and then suggest what the next poster should add into their paragraph, or what happens to them next; maybe like a paragraph version of the four-word-story. That idea is a little stupid, but you get the picture.

Iíd also like to encourage people to share their hobbies, if theyíve got any, like drawing or painting or reading and the like. Iím not sure whether these should all be compiled into one thread, but Iím sure something should be done about it.

Iím also inclined to start discussions of writers who Iíve learned of during my time at university, or at least give people on the site information about what Iíve learned and things that Iíve found useful going about the site.

And fanfic! Iíve found myself writing a lot of it lately, so I may as well start a fanfic thread or two. Iím sure everyone has SOME.

So, come and help me sort the plausible, the good, the implausible and the bad, if youíd be so kind.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum