Original Writings ~ The Literates Asylum
September 17, 2021, 08:00:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new Original Writings, enjoy Smiley.

Home Help Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Slightly Random but still good for creative reasons thread.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: The Slightly Random but still good for creative reasons thread.  (Read 3590 times)
Seer Fox
The Cause of Cancer, Chernobyl and Multiple Orgasms
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: April 11, 2007, 03:56:54 am »

Hey guys, I thought that it would be good to put a thread up based on a writing experiment that was done in my creative writing class. It tends to help when you're just struggling to write, or you think you just can't write anything, or can be done just for fun.

Basically, you are given a word, an object, such as 'balloon', and then, for five minutes and using this as your starting point, just...write. Let it go where you mind tells it to. It doesn't have to be related to the original article at all, just write whatever comes into your head at the time, and then when your time is up, stop, and then give a word for the next guy to follow up on.

It's very simple, and lo, I shall step up to show you how to do this. Our starting word is...Table.

A table is like a machine. Well it isn't, but that's what Gaia says. Stupid Gaia. Stupid little flashing blue and orange box that is TOTALLY PUTTING ME OFF RIGHT NOW. But yeah, like a machine, which me and my friends constantly mock whenever possible. I wonder if it's going to stop flashing on its own...I know if I open it it'll just start flashing again.

Wahey! A new paragraph! I'm glad I went to the toilet before I wrote this, otherwise I'd be saying I NEEED the toilet all the flash flash GODDAMN FLASH!!! Okay, I'll check it out...just Rict jabbering on. On to the giant hammer that would much prefer to be a hammer...I guess being giant isn't a good thing in hammerworld; maybe there's a shortage of giant nails? Man, he's still going into the very green of the sky. Our English teacher once said 'It's one reflecting into the other' when he was talking about the ocean and the sky, not realising how retarded he sounded. "The ocean is looking very cloudy today sir." We said.

Chortle chortle. Guffaw. I think I liked Roger the Dodger, that Watson fellow and those little...ah those little guys who lived in that boys head the most. Beano's and Dandy's...I got the 50th anniversary album somewhere, and they cost FAR TOO MUCH nowadays. And where the hell did he get that car from? The balloon? Why hasn't Dennis been incarcerated yet? That car in the adverts is cool. Deception. DECEPTICONS, RETREAAATT!!! Poor Decepticons. I doubt they're going to do any better in the up and coming movie either. And Venow won't. Mary Jane will most likely be paid in **** DOLLAR$!!! Heh heh. Funny Spiderman. Hey, it's just turned a plain orange now. He must've stopped posting. Insanity is such a brief and fleeting thing really, as Law and Order proved last week when they gave that guy an anti-psychosis drug.

He commited suicide shortly afterwards. Life sucks, neh?

Okay, that'll do. The next person's word is....Duck.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kitsune Tsuki
Co-Administrator
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Fantasy, Steampunk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 05:16:46 am »

Sounds fun, I'll give it a shot.

Ducks are annoying.  Always flapping there wings around, and making noise.  Making noises like quack, or whark.  Speaking of the word Whark, I like to make that noise, and so to some extent I like ducks.  But back to the word Whark, I like saying it when I got nothing better to say.  One day I want to go to a mall or some other public place and just yell Whark really really loud.

Speaking of malls, who decides where to build malls?  And who pays the bills for them?  They aren't government own facilities are they?  I never understood why people find hanging at the mall interesting.  Oh wow walking around the mall talking and all that jazz.  I'm sure that we could find a better place to hang out and talk at.  Of course, if you just want to go shopping, why don't you call it shopping and not hanging at the mall?

That's 5 minutes of writing.  Next word shall be...Roof!
Report Spam   Logged

In a poll of Columbia\'s grad school of journalism, 57% believe in ESP, 57% in dowsing, 47% in the ability to read a person aura, and 25 believe in the lost continent of Atlantis

To the River Red, across the ochre steppe
A thousand fathers killed,
A thousand virgin daughters spread with swords still wet,
With swords still wet with the blood of their dead
Insomniac
Champion Reviewer - Get Off My Lawn!
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Science Fiction, Cyberpunk

Sanity is Overrated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 03:24:31 pm »

All right.  I'm not one to ignore a challenge.  I apologize for quality...I'm making this up as I go.  Wink

I love being on the roof.  The higher the better.  You can see so much more from on high and the world looks so different.  Everything seems small and insignificant spread out before you.  I like that feeling.  The wind has a chance to grip you, unfettered by your surroundings and you can feel the sun on your skin, instead of milling about in shadow.

As I look down over the ground below me, my worries seem less pressing.  The fact that my wife left me for her boss...well, she's the equivalent to one of specks down there.  My eviction notice?  Bah, I can see countless homes from here, each more interesting than the last.  And being fired today?  Well, I'm on their roof right now.  They are beneath me, quite literally.

So many little dots moving around below; it's such a fascinating mosiac of humanity, coursing through the city streets.  But in all reality, I am one of those little specs while someone looks down from their roof.  Tiny and insignificant.  And if I just lean forward a little bit, I will hurry and join with them all...

Meh...passable I suppose.  Next word is "cheese".

J.
Report Spam   Logged

My imaginary friend thinks I have mental problems...

Seer Fox
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 06:15:58 pm »

Tsk tsk Sildy, you aren't actually supposed to PLAN what you're putting down, so unless you think of such whimsies all the time, that counts as an INSTANT FAIL. It also doesn't matter if it's good or not.

Cheese, gROMIT! Oh ****, I went and caps that the wrong way. Ah well. But I remmber the episode where they went to the moon and it was made of cheese. Other than the movies, the episodes weren't very long. Penguins. You know, web ghosts penguin comic was pretty damn good, all things considered, certainly better than most anything I've seen in the more taverny boards as regards webcomics.

It'd be nice to be able to do a webcomic. I'd need a graphics tablet though, and they ain't cheap. I'm halfway competent at sketches. Sinclair is the one I'm working on right now; seems I've taken to drawing all these side characters. Poor Therne. But it's all making progress like my can collection...man, I must have one hundred of 'em by now. I'll need help to turn them into an Art Attack, just like Niel Buchanan...or however you spell his name. PVA GLUE!!! F'ing lifesaver, I'm sure you'll all agree. Has this been five minutes yet? I have no idea, so lets go for another sentence or so, shall we?

I need a shower.

Next word: Apple

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

pink monkey bird
Novelist

Favorite Genre: poetry

oh my my, oh hell yeah

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 03:57:14 pm »

apple

apples are a polite fruit, they are very useful in cooking and taste reasonable, in every single possible way they are better than mangos. mangos are EVIL, trust me on this, I hate mangos i hate the way the smell and taste, i hate their texture and look, i even think the mango tree is bloody ugly, but the biggest problem with mangos is they effect your mind, they can block out things, make you do things that you don't want to do. LIKE EAT MANGOS, seriously everytime i walk past a bit of mango i pick it up and eat it, every time, despite knowing full well i despise mango's, i seriously believe that one in every 50 mango's is poisonous, and they are trying to take over the world, i have been lucky so far, but let the warning go out. DON'T eat mangos.

next word, snorkel.
Report Spam   Logged

Dream, there is alot to be said for dreams, even if theres is no chance it will come true. There is comfort in the knowledge you can still dream of it. Nothing great was acomplished without detailed planning, no plan was ever drawn up without a dream of an acomplishment. They did not build the apollo rockets until after man dreamed of reaching out and touching the stars. How? How is irrelevant, as long as there is a why, and the why can be simply "I want to!", the how will be worked out later.
Tau Worlock
Fool! Reviewers Have No Need For Sleep!
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 11:28:19 am »

Snorkel is wellÖ a snorkel, since Iím not under water I have no idea why am writing this other than as a reply to pmbs post. This kind of reminds me of a thread on the old site where Sildarax gave three words and one had to use all of them before giving three more words.

Back to where we started, snorkels are long tubes used to breath when one has difficulty breathing water, or should that be swallow water.  Also for some reason tanks have them. Why a tank would go swimming is beyond me, arenít they to heavy. I think my 5 min is almost up so time o find use a spell checker or is it spellchecker?

Next word: eared
Report Spam   Logged
Seer Fox
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 01:45:06 pm »

Eared? EARED?! Is that even a word? 'Procrastination' is a word (a damn fine word at that)...but EARED? I can't think of a single instance of eared-ness. What madness this be.

I'm feeling hungry. Maybe I should go downtown and get a pasty. I have some sorta thing where I have no idea what I'm saying anymore, and I should probably get on with writing something constructive, or eared (there, I gave it a meaning), like more RPG rules or some of my coursework, but nooooooooooooo I'm jabber-jawing away at this.

There was a guy in jabberjaw who was like shaggy, I think. Shaggy was my favourite Scooby Doo character, so I have no idea why AAHH MY NECK IS ACHING!! Serves me right, I guess.

Next word: Spelunking

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

Tau Worlock
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 01:35:15 pm »

Spelunking, I have never heard of this word what dose it mean?
Back to Eared the spellchecker does not complain about it so it is a word Seer, though what it means escapes me, maybe something with ear. Spelunking
Spell an king? Or the spellcheckers says spelunk is a word so ing was just the act of doing whatever it is; maybe itís your coursework Seer.
You know its been very sonny lately we might even get some spring soon. Onions anybody?
No? Thatís a shame Iíll just eat them then.

Next word: Foxhunting   
Report Spam   Logged
Seer Fox
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 06:07:23 am »

...You bastard.

Next word: Tau-mutha-fuckin'-Worlock-Hunting

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

Tau Worlock
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 10:47:43 am »

Thatís not a word. But here goes Seer says ďTau-mutha-fuckin'-Worlock-HuntingĒĒ
Ok so I picked a bad word but that is a bit of an extreme reaction after all who would go to the effort of hunting me, Iím not edible as far as I know and I havenít got any fur that can be sold. Also would the hunter not get an asbo (sp?) and when Iím dead would that count as murder? I know it would the case if anybody killed Seer.

Any way the weather is wrong for hunting and if I remember correctly so is the season (except maybe for pheasants)

Next word: session
Report Spam   Logged
jazen
Novelist

A smile costs little but gives much treat sum1 2 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 07:36:00 pm »

Session
A session of time, time where you do 1 thing, or try... concentration is low - occasionally, often.
This is a session I guess, a session where I am doing little, or little that I am supposed to.
Session, sitting of court, wander what they might be discussing - our lives, what gives people a right to decide right from wrong anyway?
Session, school term, school lessons, necessary much as some hate the things.
Now I've probably finishd my 5 mins, and I dout any of it makes sense.
Next word: Freedom
Report Spam   Logged

AMERICA here I come,
I will be out of the country - and away from internet - for the next 2-3 weeks.

A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step,
A story of a thousand words starts with a single thought.
Tau Worlock
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 10:24:33 am »

Freedom? Does that actually exist or is it all an illusion of the vast machine trying to controlled us trough a Panopticon system where non know whos is the Guard and who the guarded or who is anybody at all.
What dose it mean? The joice of eleven types of toootpast? Or is it something to do with what one thinks and says, but that to is no free, with all the regualtions of today, and political corectnes whil good in princeble is nolonger fredom for efrybody. It is no more than the elosion of the Panopticon where the guard has gone to lunch.

Next word: Panopticon (just to see if anybody knows what it means)
Report Spam   Logged
jazen
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 04:17:07 pm »

Prisons, watching.
Are we forever imprisoned, never free to do anything without our every move being watched,

Or are some people just overly suspicious.
But then again we could live in a Truman Show type reality, the whole world spying on me - or you, or him.
But are we realy that selfish that we could believe such a thing of the rest of the world, that the world could revolve around us.

Control, does anyone have the right to control others? can anyone control us, or do we like to think that others could be blamed for the things we have done wrong - or have we, was it her or him or both of them or neither.
Should we spy on others, and talk about them behind their backs.
Watching, spying on prisoners.

I could go on for hours but I think my time is up.
Next word - lets stop being so dreary:  love
Report Spam   Logged

AMERICA here I come,

Seer Fox
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 06:16:30 pm »

IT'S THE SWEETEST THING. Probably. U2 thought so. Am I allowed to use the numer '2' in these things? Shoud I be writing 'two' instead? Who knows? Not I, not I at all. E-ally all.

A new sentence, and a little glowing orange box that I keep mis-spelling. It's a good job I write on this but not a typewriter, eh? Ah yes, love. Lovity lovity love-love-love. In my opinion (and I know I'm not alone in this), there was far too much love in Episode III (Do I have to say three?), and not enough of anything else. Seriously, the script made even the best of actors look like gormless idiots. Looked nice though.

I can't help but feel I have somewhat strayed from the message of the content of the giant spindly legged conscruct that lives in a pint glass which WOULDN'T GO OUTSIDE. I kept it there for four days and four nights, without food nor drink. I hope it's okay...more than that, I hope it doesn't come back to my room, the little ****.

Next word: Spider.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

jazen
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2007, 06:41:57 pm »

Spider, an arachnid, 8 legged creature. An animal, Black Widow sounds creepy.
I'm staring at on right now - a spider not a Black Widow, at least I don't think it is a Black Widow, It's trapped between the picture and the glass on the photo above my computer. It's been there for months , I think its dead - I hope its dead, it would be freaky if it moved. I wander what it died of, how it got there.
What do you think of spiders I wander, I just thought of the one in the forest at Hogwarts - Aragog and that on in Lord of the Rings, whats its name, the one that nearly eats Frodo, doesn't matter at the moment I guess.
Oh and there is that riddle - you know the one, about the person who lives in disguies, telling nothing but lies, then the middle of middle and the end of end, and of course, the sound often heard when trying to think of a hard to find word.
Times up, next word: magic
Report Spam   Logged

AMERICA here I come,

pink monkey bird
Novelist

oh my my, oh hell yeah

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2007, 09:17:58 pm »

ah now, magic, thats the thing, thee is nothing in the world that gives you more depression than the thought that, for the most part, magic, true magic doesn't exist, voodoo is different, and tarot and palm reading, all the rest of it, it isn't real magic, the sort that allows you to fly the sort that can instantaneously change a desert into a flowing river. i say it doesn't exist, i mean of course, that it doesn't exist anymore, for (like dragons) magic is a common myth, people with the ability to do things outside the laws of nature and science appear in every mythology and legend in every civilisation current and passed, from merlin, to the chinese sages, to the aztec high priests to the native american witch doctors, there is magic, prophecy and supernatural in every culture, magic did exist, for such a wide and seperated group to share such imagination is near impossible, so all we need to do is find whatever secrets we lost and once again the world can see it's true potential,

next word, firework.
Report Spam   Logged

Dream, there is alot to be said for dreams, even if theres is no chance it will come true. There is comfort in the knowledge you can still dream of it. Nothing great was acomplished without detailed planning, no plan was ever drawn up without a dream of an acomplishment. They did not build the apollo rockets until after man dreamed of reaching out and touching the stars. How? How is irrelevant, as long as there is a why, and the why can be simply "I want to!", the how will be worked out later.
Tau Worlock
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 09:17:51 am »

Fireworks

They the things that go up in the air an fog boom, a bit like a mortar then, except maybe the bratty colours, unless one is colour blind, then it is just so many lights raining form the sky, rain of fire, the end of the world. Or is that tomorrow?
The first use of fire works was by the Chinese, blackpowder come t o think about it was original invented on a quest to find an elixir of life so that the mad can live forever.

Next word: longer
Report Spam   Logged
jazen
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 09:24:55 am »

Longer
Longer, more of something, more of what? Time? Why? What for?
Though I guess 5 minutes isnít long. 10 minutes is quite a short time also. Eternity Ė eternity for what, to live? But why? What use is eternity if no-one else has it? None at all really?
Longer is just relative anyway Ė everything is relative in its own way.
Next word: relative
Report Spam   Logged

AMERICA here I come,

pink monkey bird
Novelist

oh my my, oh hell yeah

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 10:09:58 pm »

relative? a second is realative to time, time is realtive to mortality, if we lived for ever a centuary and a second would effect us the same way, everything is relative to ebverything else, and most importantly everything is elative to oneself, things effect people in different ways, everything is relative, my uncle for example he is relative, sorry bad joke there, talking of bad jokes i was watching an eddie izzard dvd earlier, now he is madder than we are (even seer fox) and gets away with it because he say's it's just an act, if we did it we'd be put away but it's normal for him, everything is relative, anyway running out of time so next word, i'll give you a choice,

"cake"

or "death"

(sorry couldn't resist)
Report Spam   Logged

jazen
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 10:53:02 pm »

cake or death?
To write about or in real life? Eeither way,
whenever you bake a cake you have to lick the bowl - its the whole reason you make a cake in the first place.
They are delicious things and can be made for any reason, specially decorated ones for birthdays or just random I need something to do, so i'm going to cook a cake.
Chocolate cakes are best, but i'm probably biased, ice cream cakes are interesting, lemon cakes can be tasty, carrot cakes are a good way to trick my sis into eating veg - or used to be she no longer falls for it.
Now all that thinking about cake has made me hungry, when I have finished writing this I may just go and raid the cake tin for one of the little cakes that my sis made with smarties on the top, and chocolate icing - or I may go for the fruit cake, both are good - one is healthy for my body, the other is great for my mind, and makes me feel happy.

Next word: equality
Report Spam   Logged

AMERICA here I come,

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum