Original Writings ~ The Literates Asylum
August 01, 2021, 09:01:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the new Original Writings, enjoy Smiley.

Home Help Staff List Calendar Login Register  

OW Narrative Role Play

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: OW Narrative Role Play  (Read 588 times)
- Makenshi -
Who Needs Sleep Anyway?
Administrator
Writer

Favorite Genre: Fantasy, Science-Fiction & Science Fantasy: if it involves people doing ridiculous things I like it

Oh Crap...Not Again...

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: April 15, 2007, 04:41:00 pm »

Myself and Fox have been discussing possibly having a narrative (as in all about how you write, not stats and the like) RPG for OW, basing it in a pre-made world.

We thought we'd see what world people would most be interested in playing an RP in, so please 'nominate' any worlds you would like the RP to set in, it could be one that already exists (such as Shadowrun) or a world from one of the writers of this site (such as Seer Fox's Aarde). After we get enough nominations we'll start a Poll to decide which is used.

I myself would be interested in doing an RP set in Aarde, especially as it'd mean Fox'd likely have to finally get some kind of background thread started so I can make heads or tails of his various stories Tongue.

~MTWC
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 04:46:14 pm by - Makenshi - » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kitsune Tsuki
Co-Administrator
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Fantasy, Steampunk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 05:03:26 pm »

Any background world?  Hmm...I'd instinctively go with the Iron Kingdoms, but that's because I love steampunk.  For member created worlds, I'd say go with your Seis' Houjin(Did I spell that right?) world (Aheka), seeing as it retains some steampunk aspects.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 05:05:45 pm by Antiphon » Report Spam   Logged

In a poll of Columbia\'s grad school of journalism, 57% believe in ESP, 57% in dowsing, 47% in the ability to read a person aura, and 25 believe in the lost continent of Atlantis

To the River Red, across the ochre steppe
A thousand fathers killed,
A thousand virgin daughters spread with swords still wet,
With swords still wet with the blood of their dead
Kentai
Small, Green and Spammish
Global Moderator
Writer

Immortal Until Proven Otherwise

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 11:52:54 pm »

I'd say either the Discworld or either 40k/Fantasy, as I know them best, and they are all very nice backgrounds.
Report Spam   Logged

Tau Worlock
Fool! Reviewers Have No Need For Sleep!
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 01:09:28 pm »

Discworld, Shadowrun, Entilea, Arden, Seis'Houjin, or Eomis are my sugetions.
This sounds like a brilliant idea. Count me in.
Report Spam   Logged
Insomniac
Champion Reviewer - Get Off My Lawn!
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Science Fiction, Cyberpunk

Sanity is Overrated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 02:47:17 pm »

I am a role-play nerd, so you know I'd be interested.  I am more than willing to run games in Shadowrun (cyberpunk blended with fantasy) or 7th Sea (swashbuckling and movie-style combat with magic).

Iron Kingdoms sounds fun (I play WarMachine) and if anyone is willing to run a game set in a world of their own creation, it could be a very neat experiment.  Let me know how we'd like to get this off the ground and I'll do what I can to help.

J.
Report Spam   Logged

My imaginary friend thinks I have mental problems...

Kentai
Global Moderator
Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 04:33:41 pm »

Iron Kingdoms is a neat idea, though I never did get into the fluff in the Warmachine books, it was kinda poor for the most part.
Report Spam   Logged

EightyEight
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Hard sci-fi

Are we as offensive as we might be?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 06:25:48 pm »

Discworld
Brilliant! Afro Why has nobody done that before?
Report Spam   Logged

He who keepeth a secret must keep it a secret that he hath a secret to keep.
-Sir Humphrey

Only a fool fights fire with fire.
-Me

The bakerman is laughing 'cause he's rolling in the gold...
-Midnight Oil, Bakerman
Lord Xalys
Scribbler

Favorite Genre: Hard Sci-Fi, Space Opera, Fantasy

Praise the Fallen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 10:05:46 am »

Iron Kingdoms is a neat idea, though I never did get into the fluff in the Warmachine books, it was kinda poor for the most part.

Really? After having read Prime, Prime Remix, Escalation, Apotheosis, Superiority and Primal I'd say the setting has very much come alive. Especially the big picture sketched in Apotheosis (with the finale in NQ7 me thinks) and the gritty fluff in Superiority ruled. Of course the Monsternomicon, World and Character Guide for the IKRPG will probably add much more detail, but I sadly don't own them. Sad

LX
Report Spam   Logged

"She pulled down her hood, freeing her auburn hair to the wind that had picked up in the last few minutes. Her emerald green eyes saw everything and nothing at once, making her infinitely sad for a fraction of time. And Ava cried." - H.G. Pape
Canis
Scribbler

Favorite Genre: Post-Apocolypse

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 03:46:22 pm »

I have been part of a narrative style RPG before and I'd be quite interested if something like that started up here.

Recently I started playing Werewolf: The Forsaken, an RPG game using the New World of Darkness storytelling system. Would anyone be interested in somthing like that here?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 06:24:34 pm by Canis » Report Spam   Logged
Rictiovarus
Scribbler

Favorite Genre: Dictionaries, Atlasses and Encyclopedia's.

Random bannings for everyone!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 07:18:39 pm »

I vote for discworld and the world of the teletubbies. I demand to be Po-Po!
Report Spam   Logged

I feel more than qualified to dish out the above posted poorly conceived and vaguely offensive remark.

Feel free to mock or insult me for any mistakes I choose to make, but I am not in any way responsible for any physical, mental and/or property damage that might occur if you do.

Seer Fox
The Cause of Cancer, Chernobyl and Multiple Orgasms
Global Moderator
Novelist

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 08:48:04 pm »

I want...to get this show on the road already!

It's all well and good saying 'I want this', but if we are all just going to sit around here, dreaming of our favouritest chocolate-covered ice-cream RPGs, then we aren't going to end up making one!

A few of you are saying 'Discworld is koolX0rz,' but is anyone going to make one? Anyone here, amongst us?

The closest ones to actually SAYING they'd do something are Canis and Sildrax. So let's hear what they've got to offer.

I also wouldn't mind doing one...buuut right now I've yet to come up with a good idea. Maybe later.

Ciat,
Seer Fox
Report Spam   Logged

Rictiovarus
Scribbler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2007, 02:13:12 am »

I could do a Discworld based one.

Obvious choice who be to situate it in Ankh Morpork. Probably with the players as watchmen (or other watchbeings). City watch is probably the most popular element of discworld anyway.

I did one (sort of) on 40konline, and it was the PLAYERS who abandoned the game there, not me. And if it's not graphical, I won't abandon it due to too much work.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 02:14:51 am by Rictiovarus » Report Spam   Logged

I feel more than qualified to dish out the above posted poorly conceived and vaguely offensive remark.

Feel free to mock or insult me for any mistakes I choose to make, but I am not in any way responsible for any physical, mental and/or property damage that might occur if you do.

Kitsune Tsuki
Co-Administrator
Novelist

Favorite Genre: Fantasy, Steampunk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 02:59:30 am »

If we're going for a narrative based RPG, I may start one in the IK setting.  Of course, I"d have think of a good story/adventure to use.  May take ideas out of No Quarter.
Report Spam   Logged

In a poll of Columbia\'s grad school of journalism, 57% believe in ESP, 57% in dowsing, 47% in the ability to read a person aura, and 25 believe in the lost continent of Atlantis

To the River Red, across the ochre steppe
A thousand fathers killed,
A thousand virgin daughters spread with swords still wet,
With swords still wet with the blood of their dead
Canis
Scribbler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2007, 04:05:25 am »

I know enough about Discworld to join in but don't think I could start one myself.

Werewolf: The Forsaken (WtF) has a rich background and a well established setting, it was designed for storytelling roleplay afterall. I even have a scenario that works well for anyone new to the world of darkness. It's not your typical werewolf mythos either and will have plenty of creative writing opportunites. Would anyone be interested?
Report Spam   Logged
Insomniac
Novelist

Sanity is Overrated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2007, 04:27:59 am »

I have scads of Shadowrun material and the rules/setting almost completely memorized.  I could run a narrative game almost immediately, or a traditional stat-based game after helping people make up characters.

If we want to stay with the narrative side of things, I can provide a primer on the setting, state what is and is not possible with characters in terms of the game world and get started.

I'm in a similar standing with 7th Sea (pirates and magic), if cyberpunk isn't people's thing.

Of course, there's no saying that there can only be one of these going at a time, so if more than one interests people, then lets do `em all, dang it.  Smiley

J.
Report Spam   Logged

Rictiovarus
Scribbler

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 12:38:21 pm »

The problem of course being that we don't all know all the campaign settings. I've never heard of Iron Kingdoms, for instance, and am only marginally knowledgable about shadowrun.
Report Spam   Logged

Insomniac
Novelist

Sanity is Overrated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2007, 02:13:55 pm »

This is why those who run the games would have to explain the setting to the uninitiated.  I could fill a dozen posts on the various facets of the Shadowrun world before people started putting together character concepts.  GMs (GameMasters, for those not familiar with RPG lingo) would have to be willing to take the time to explain to people how characters fit in to the grand scheme of things.

J.
Report Spam   Logged

Kentai
Global Moderator
Writer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2007, 02:36:03 pm »

It would probably best to go with one where the background is most commonly known, to save reading reams and reams of information before you even have any idea of what you are doing....
Report Spam   Logged

Insomniac
Novelist

Sanity is Overrated

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2007, 12:48:21 am »

Well, I was thinking...I'd really like to run a Shadowrun session.  Is there enough interest in me doing this (I won't go blabbing about the setting if no one wants to participate), and if so, where would I post the informational stuff?

I won't be overly elaborate unless asked a pointed question.  Just the basics to get a story off the ground.

J.
Report Spam   Logged

Canis
Scribbler

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2007, 02:30:28 am »

I don't know anything about shadowrun but if you can layout some basic information Iíll give it a try. The same goes for any other setting that has been mentioned.

The reason I suggested Werewolf: The Forsaken is that it doesnít require in-depth background knowledge. The game takes place in a setting very similar to our own. The players can take on the role of characters that have recently experienced their first change so just like the character, the players are learning about these supernatural secrets for the first time.

If this goes ahead I have a scenario in mind where a group of novice "pups" are guided by a mentor to cleanse a city of wayward ghosts and spirits by night while retaining their human lives during the day. Although they are werewolves they are by no means mindless killers, there are entire tribes (classes) dedicated to diplomats, mages, bards, judges and warriors each with their own unique spiritual "gifts" so there are always several solutions to any problem for a creative player. 

I would really like to give this ago so is there anyone willing to at least give it a try? Even if it doesnít work out it could at least be an interesting writing challenge.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 02:32:45 am by Canis » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum